Tanzania Shipping Agencies Corporation (TASAC) is a Public Institution established under the Tanzania Shipping Agencies Act No. 14 of 2017. The Corporation is a body corporate established to Promote and Manage Shipping Agencies and Regulate Maritime Transport in Mainland Tanzania, assuming the rights and responsibilities of Maritime Transport Services which were previously performed by the resolved SUMATRA.
JOB TITLE: DIRECTOR OF MARITIME SAFETY, SECURITY AND MARINE ENVIRONMENT/REGISTRAR OF SHIPS, SEAFEARERS AND WRECK- (1 POST)
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
- To manage and ensure safety and quality of seafarers, wrecks and ships along with responsibility for Tanzania Ship Registration and Marine Environment protection matters
of the Corporation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To provide guidelines on registration and de registration of ships;
- To study and recommend for approval e ship drawings and plans for new build and all ships under major alterations;
- To supervise and conduct all kind of surveys and tonnage measurement of ships and issuance of relevant safety certificates;
- To supervise and provide guidance on inspection, registration and licensing of ships;
- To maintain and update a Register of Tanzanian Ships registered or licensed under the Merchant Shipping Act, 2003;
- To prepare periodic implementation reports on implementation of maritime safety, security and environment activities;
- To oversee implementation of United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) related to maritime safety, security and prevention of marine environment and IMO Instruments including Conventions (SOLAS, MARPOL, STCW, LOAD LINES, COLREGS, TONNAGE); Protocols, Amendments, Recommendations, Codes, Guidelines and Resolutions;
- To implement and enforce regulations and standards on maritime safety, security and prevention of marine environmental pollution and prepare reports;
- To assess and recommend for accreditation of maritime training institutions and training programmes in Mainland Tanzania in liaison with NACTE;
- To assess seafarers’ qualifications and issue professional qualification
certificates (Certificate of Competency-CoC);
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Permanent and Pensionable Terms after completion twelve (12) months of probation.
- Attractive remuneration package will be offered as per TASAC Salary Scheme.